YPF-OXFORD DIALOGUE: ACCOUNTABILITY
FOR ACTION IN THE ROHINGYA CRISIS
“Accountability for Action over the Rohingya Crisis” was a webinar that was held in the presence of expert panelists who had a shared interest in facilitating action for ensuring justice for the Rohingya community on a global scale. Youth Policy Forum (YPF) hosted this in collaboration with Oxford Bangladesh Society(OBS) and Oxford South Asian Society. It came at a critical time, just after the National Unity Government made major concessions in regards to Rohingya citizenship.
The focal point of the session were the accountability mechanisms available globally to ensure action in regard to taking actions regarding the Rohingya crisis. The panel broke down the key factors behind the lack of accountability and action of entities such as the Burmese military, international institutions and responsible countries. At the same time, they discussed possible solutions. These solutions ranged from prioritizing the recognition of Rohingya citizenship to the UK putting pressure on Myanmar by leveraging its sizable political clout.
ADVOCACY PANEL DETAILS
- Date: 18 June, 2021
- Topic: Accountability for Action over the Rohingya Crisis
- Moderator: Gayathree Devi, Events Officer at the Oxford South Asian Society and Oxford University DPhil Candidate
- Mr. Stephen Rapp, Former United States Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Issues in the Office of Global Criminal Justice
- Mr. Liew Chin Tong, Senator and Former Deputy Minister of Defense Malaysia
- Mr. Nahim Razzaq MP, Member of Parliament and Parliamentary Standing Committee in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangladesh
- Mr. Tun Khin, President of the Burmese Rohingya Organization UK
- Ms. Kirsty Sutherland, Visiting Fellow with the Oxford Programme on International Peace and Security
PRESS COVERAGE, DOCUMENTATION AND OTHER OUTPUTS
- Bangladesh wants global community’s role in Rohingya issue: Nahim Razzaq
- This is a press article on the Rohingya Advocacy panel session that summarizes the event. It was published in The Business Standard.
- YPF Press Release: Accountability for Action in the Rohingya Crisis
- This is a press release on the Rohingya Advocacy panel session that summarizes the event. It was published in Rohingya Vision, the world’s first Rohingya media portal.
- রোহিঙ্গা প্রত্যাবাসনই হতে পারে একমাত্র স্থায়ী সমাধান
- This is a press release on the Rohingya Advocacy panel session that summarizes the event. It was published in Bonik Barta.